Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Love Glass

from C.N.Y Glass Studio designed by Jacquelyn Rice

After a two day introduction to lampworking I’m convinced that glass is the medium for me. Plans are underway to install a glass studio. Well, the plans are being constructed in my mind. I’m still wrestling with a few minor details. Where will I get an extra $1000 for a good kiln? How will I install decent ventilation? And should I leap right into borosilicates? Other than working out a few details, myAngelWings by Lynn Nurge of LaffingGull mind is made up. :)

I’ve had a fascination with glass all my life. I remember mom taking me to a glass blowing studio, and because I was tiny and fearless I was yelled at about staying away from the furnace. But I was so fascinated with the molten glass and what the glass blower could accomplish.

As I grew, I developed an appreciation for mom’s millefiori paperweight collection. Later I fell in love with LaLique, blown glass figurines and even swarovski. I like crystals too (both natural and synthetic) and one of the first things I purchased when I returned to jewelry making after a 30 year hiatus was showy high quality glass beads.

In retrospect, it's no wonder that I have a glass collection of my own: paperweights, figurines, unique fobs and focals - mostly items either I chose while vacationing or little pretties gifted to me from David. He's such a dearheart to me. In fact, in my jewelry chest I have an assortment of eclectic pieces (my designs and purchased) which incorporate glass withMy Design - Swiss Blue Topaz, Lemon Topaz, Boro beads, Smokey Quartz all other media.

Recently I’ve fallen in love with boro beads – those wonderfully complex and colourful hard glass creations that have become so popular of late. I’ve purchased borosilicate beads from several renowned artists – and these pretties look fabulous when mixed with precious gemstones. Above is featured a set of borosilicate beads made by Jacquelyn Rice of C.N.Y Glass studio of Boonsville, NY.

I incorporated Jacquelyn's pretties (which remind me of an intergallactic monsoon) into the luxe gemstone bracelet shown here which I designed for myself. These photographs underline the many faces of boro beads - their dramatic and intense hues as highlighted in the opening picture and their more subtle faces in varying lighting - as seen below combined with Swiss Blue Topaz faceted nuggets, Lemon Topaz, Citrine, Smokey Topaz and plenty of silver.

This post will be the first in an ongoing series of articles exploring my quest to design borosilicate bead ornaments which will complement and enhance my gemstone creations. I'll discuss my boro bead buying experiences, my favourite boro artists, available online storefronts, informational resources, borosilicate bead making courses, lampwork bead making, lampworking courses, lampwork versus boro, etc. Stay tuned... there's lots more to come!

12 comments:

A Beaded Affair said...

Wow, aside from being informative, I love the look of the boros. Can't wait for the next article. I know nothing about glass.
Lois
htt://www.abeadedaffair.com

Canyon Fire Creations said...

I love glass, too and I am facing the same dilemma - a studio in my mind and how am I going to find the money to finance it? :)
By the way - I can't find anyone who hasn't been tagged in the last week, so it's back to you! Tag - you're it!

kaytee said...

TAG!! You're it!

Anonymous said...

TAG....you're it Anna Lee. Your friend jules here from ANGELAMPS! I'm with you on the boro beads. But you know my love is my character beads. My torch is in storage now...I sure miss it! LOVE TO YOU!

Anonymous said...

By combining your creativity and your understanding of color, if you made your own glass beads you'd just increase the beauty of your designs. I always think if I could create a piece literally from start to end, it would really be wonderful. You go girl!
Teri
http://www.sandtreations.com/wordpress

Myra Hopper said...

You do absolutely beautiful work in all your designs, not matter the style. I can't wait to see more of your glass designs in the near future! Thanks for all your tips and help for the ESmarts members!

Anonymous said...

I keep trying to learn to make more of my pieces----wouldn't it be wonderful to actually make all the pieces from start to finish? While I can't say I want to make glass (I love the borosilicates), I would love to add my own findings, and wrap some of my beads.
Teri

Carolyn said...

What pretty beads!

Thanks for visiting my Blog.

Barbara Merwin said...

The boro works are so beautiful; I know it takes higher heat and special glass to do boro but the outcomes are neater than the lesser heat glass.

Good luck with your own venture into working with boro Anna.....Ken

Anonymous said...

I love glass too. I've always thought if I didn't work in paper, I'd work with glass - either lampwork or melted glass patchwork kinds of pieces.

I'm so glad you're taking the plunge! Can't wait to see your glass studio and your work. It will be an interesting journey for us readers as well as for you!

Anonymous said...

Like you, I love all things glass, from Swarovski crystals, hand blown or hollow beads, "soft" and "hard" glass beads, Venetian glass, fused, you name it!! I love encased beads and I'm drawn to florals that remind me of a Claude Monet painting. But if the truth be known, I love them all, the colorful, primary colors, the earthy lampwork beads, the pastels, the beads with paladium, gold or silver leaf, with squiggles, dots and lines, the lentil, round, diamond, oval and bicone...they are all minature works of wearable art!

This will be an exciting adventure for you. Lampworking is so engrossing and is a wonderful medium but mastery is not immediate. I love watching molten glass take shape and form. I know you will adore it and be hooked ;D Enjoy your journey!
Victoria

Anonymous said...

Nice colourful beads, the combination is very well done.